Friday, August 29, 2008

Right now there are bananas and plantains hanging all ove the place.


This is the center of my town were most of the infracture is. The houses are all over the surrounding mountains. You can see the soccer field, school, community center, health center and police station. The little store is at the bottom of the picture behind the trees. My house is way way to the left off the picture.




Pastor Martín (by the window) and Alanso (the guitar player) waiting for church to start.
Carlos and Eric praying about something.

Some of the highschool kids.

Alejandro showing me how to us the trapiche (sugar cane crusher) to get sugar cane juice...which they then boil and make molds of dulce (blocks of crude natural sugar) which they sell or use to make agua dulce "sweet water" a traditional drink sometimes used as a substitute for coffee or during holidays.

You dont wanna get your fingers stuck in there.

Pure sugarcane juice. They filled me up a big glass (with dirt, cane-fiber and who knows what else still in it) and made me drink it on the spot. It doesnt really taste as good as you would think.
They attach 2 oxen to the trapiche to turn it and crush the sugarcane.

Alejandro standing on a big pile crushed sugar cane.

There are definitely more people who get around on horse than car.

I like the way this picture came out. On a clear day you would be able to see the ocean from here. This is Carlos, my "counterpart" and president of the local development association. The same guy in the church picture.


The church in Nicoya built around 1600. This picture is during the festive when there was a concert going on to the right.




The the only boys in RCD Tico 18. Rob, Matt, and me.





Some nice Italian place we ate dinner before we went out.

A bunch of us went out with Sylvia (our old boss) in San José to say goodby. She left Peace Corps to go to grad school in Spain.

2 comments:

Dr. Paul Heeg said...

Hey bro! I see you are having a good experience so far. Man, in some ways I would love to have the schedule you're in right now. Clinic and classes are nuts on my end. I head to Indianapolis tomorrow for a few days for another AOA meeting. Fun, fun, fun! Plus I have classes all next week and clinic again!

I hope you scorpion bite is not getting too bad. Now that I'm forced to think like a clinician, I have to ask you a few things :): When did happen? What have you done to it since then? Any associated factors occur with the sting? How often does your foot bother you?

As for your host dad, now that he has severed his tendons (except for index), he may never regain full use of that hand ever again... that's pretty crazy! I hope he is alright. Keep me posted :).

TTYL!

Dr. Paul Heeg said...

Oh and I see you're wearing you glasses more... very fashionable, but again... I must ask, how are your contacts? Do they feel dry toward the end of the day? Do your eyes Burn, itch, tear, are they ever excessively red?