Saturday, January 31, 2009

Quick update

Hey everyone. Sorry not too much new. All last week were the national fiestas in Santa Cruz. To my surprise the city was totally transformed into a giant fairground with a big wooden bull-riding arena, erected out of nowhere, dominating the center plaza. The event was televised throughout the nation with bull riders from all over coming to test their skill and bravery on some of the biggest and meanest beast known to Central America. There were rides, games and venders of all kinds along with live music throughout the streets and concerts in the city park. Even multi floor dance clubs were temporarily built for the occasion. There were parades of horse riders and oxcarts and most of the locals were wearing in the traditional Guanacaste cowboy/cowgirl garb. With a host of partiers from around the country and around the world, the people-watching was definitely at its prime.
The Imperial was flowin, the reggaton was bumpin, and the sound of Guanacastecan gritos filled the cool night air. The people who didn’t have anywhere to stay in the city just partied all night and took the early morning bus back to wherever they came from. The parties went on like this for 9 days. I was able to experience two of them but unfortunately neglected to bring my camera.

In other news…we finally got a police officer in our town. We had one until a few years ago when he retired and since then the police station has sat empty. There have been occasional burglaries, thefts, and random acts of vandalism ever since. Hopefully with the new presence of authority, some order will be restored to the area.

They weather has been getting really hot and dry. Every time I leave my house now I have to carry an extra t-shirt with me. Even though I’m in good shape from walking so much I still end up sweating profusely and have to change my shirt before I get to wherever I’m going. It’s hard to believe that just a few months ago it was raining every day and I was carrying an umbrella everywhere.

Anyways, not too much else is new. I will try to take more pictures for the next post.

No comments: